Prints by Pierre Joseph Redouté
[ Lilies | Roses | Flowering Plants ]
Pierre Joseph Redouté
Pierre Joseph Redouté (1759-1840) is considered by many the most important of all botanical painters. Redouté worked in the Royal French court before the Revolution, which he survived to become the chief artists and "professeur" at Le Jardin des Plantes, and eventually flourishing under the patronage of Josephine. As a student of the great artist van Spaendonck, Redouté employed the newly invented method of stipple in his publications. Stipple was an engraving process in which the image was composed of a series of dots on a copper plate, and then tinting was added to the plate itself. This process, so expertly applied by Langlois, gives the works of Redouté their unusual softness and distinctive feel. Rarely are technical skill, artistic talent and botanical knowledge seen to complement one another so well as in Redouté's works.
Pierre Joseph Redouté. From Les Liliacées. Paris, 1802-16. Folio, 14 x 21 1/2. Stipple engravings, printed in color, and finished by hand. Full margins. Excellent condition.
The eight volumes of Les Liliacées were produced at the height of Redouté's career. In 1798 Josephine acquired the palace at Malmaison and set about forming a garden and amassing a comprehensive collection of prints. Les Liliacées, comprising 486 plates of lilies, irises, and other monocotyledons, was inspired by this important garden at Malmaison.
- 144. Kaempferia Galanga $500
- 277. Yucca Filamentosa $750
- 302. Ornithogalum Luteum/ Ornithogalum Minimum $450
- 312. Ornithogalum Tenuifolium (plate number trimmed) $650
- 313. Echeandia Terniflora $750
- 315. Polygonatum Sibiricum (plate number partially trimmed) $350
- 317. Scilla Autumnalis $500
- 319. Allium Triquetrum $750
- 324. Tofieldia Pubescens $500
- 329. Agave Yuccaefolia $1,200
- 333. Ornithogalum Thyrsoides $850
- 336. Iris Amoena [Framed] $3,600
- 340. Vieusseuxia Iridiodes $900
- 342. Peronia Stricta $900
- 344. Gladiolus Angustus $1,400
- 346. Epidendrum Cochleatum $800
- 350. Iris Ochroleuca [Framed] $2,800
- 355. Hypoxis erecta. Some foxing. $900
- Iris Garoleri (plate number trimmed) $1,100
Pierre Joseph Redouté. Prints from Les Roses. Paris, 1817-24. Folio. Stipple engravings, printed in color, and finished by hand. Excellent condition.
The three volumes of Les Roses were done at the height of Redouté's career, just after he had finished his Les Liliacées. Les Roses included 168 unnumbered folio plates and have achieved even greater fame than the previous series.
Flowering Trees & Shrubs
Pierre Joseph Redouté. From Duhamel du Monceau's Traité des Arbres et Arbustes. Paris, 1801-19. Folio. Stipple engravings, printed in color, and finished by hand. Full margins. Excellent condition.
This is another series of prints that were exquisitely drawn by Redouté. The work is familiarly known as the "Nouveau Duhamel," as it was issued as an homage to Henri Louis Duhamel du Monceau's important eighteenth-century treatise. The prints from this work illustrate flowering trees and shrubs, delicately drawn and colored. The skillful use of stipple engraving and color printing, as well as the handsome draughtsmanship make the images Redouté's distinctive production.
Return to botanical prints home page
For more information call, write, fax or e-mail to:
8441 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19118 USA
(215) 242-4750 [Phone]
(215) 242-6977 [Fax]
©The Philadelphia Print Shop, Ltd. Last updated September 29, 2014