Reference list of Ehrgott & Forbriger prints
Note: This section of our web site is for reference only. The prints listed are not for sale.
Click here for Ehrgott & Forbriger prints for sale
[ Index of prints | Brief history of firm ]
[ Notes on the list | Sources | Abbreviations | Bibliography ]
We at The Philadelphia Print Shop have become very interested in the prints of the Cincinnati lithographic firm Ehrgott, Forbriger & Co. While there has been a fair amount written about their famous Civil War portraits, little else has appeared on the entire body of work of this fascinating mid-nineteenth century firm. We have tried to gather as comprehensive a listing as possible of every known print by Ehrgott & Forbriger and then to create a web site with all this information so that anyone interested will have access to it. This listing of prints is indexed below.
- Throughout The Philadelphia Print Shop web site, no distinction is made between prints produced by Ehrgott & Forbriger and those by Ehrgott, Forbriger & Co.
- All items listed here are lithographs by Ehrgott & Forbriger, unless noted otherwise.
- Sizes are given in inches to the border of the image, except as noted. Height is given first, then width.
- The prints are listed by category and then within the categories alphabetically by title. If there is no title, the prints are listed at the end of the category within date order as best can be ascertained.
- Locations for the prints are indicated using abbreviations as indicated below.
- We are always interested to hear of any new prints not listed here. Please contact us with details.
- We would love to include links to any images of Ehrgott & Forbriger prints that are available. Please contact us if you have such an image to which we can link.
- This list was compiled over time and so not all entries are complete nor are the records always standard. Corrections and additions are most welcome. Please contact us with any corrections or additions to the details listed here.
- CHS: Chicago Historical Society
- CAM: Cincinnati Art Museum
- CL: Cincinnati Library. Langstroth Lithographic Collection
- CLR: Cincinnati Library. Rare Book Department
- HF: Research Center of the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village
- HSC: Historical Society of Cincinnati
- LL: Lily Library, Indiana University
- LOC: Library of Congress
- NPG: National Portrait Gallery
- OHS: Ohio Historical Society
- UC: University of Cincinnati
- UNC: Chapel Hill Music Library, University of North Carolina
- UP: Keffer Collection of sheet music, University of Pennsylvania
- EF: Ehrgott & Forbriger
- EFC: Ehrgott, Forbriger & Co.
- UL: Upper left
- UC: Upper center
- UR: Upper right
- LL: Lower left
- LC: Lower center
- LR: Lower right
- Charles Cist. Sketches And Statistics of Cincinnati In 1859. Cincinnati, 1859
- Harry Dichter & Elliott Shapiro. Handbook of Early American Sheet Music 1768-1889. [New York: R.R. Bowker, 1941]-New York, 1977 (Dover reprint).
- Harold Holzer. "Lincoln and the Ohio Printmakers." From Ohio History. Volume 89/Autumn 1980/No. 4. Pp. 400 ff.
- Milton Kaplan. "Heads of States." From Winterthur Portfolio 6. Charlottesville, 1970 Pp. 135-150.
- Benjamin F. Klein, ed Lithography in Cincinnati. Part I: To the advent of the steam press, 1836-68. "Designed and prepared by the personnel of Young and Klein. Benjamin F. Klein, ed. Cincinnati, 1975-76.
- Lester S. Levy. Picture The Songs. Lithographs from the Sheet Music of Nineteenth-Century America. Baltimore, 1976.
- Mark E. Neely Jr. & Harold Holzer. The Union Image. Popular Prints of the Civil War North. Chapel Hill & London, 2000.
- Harry T. Peters. American on Stone. New York: Arno Press, 1976 reprint of 1931 first edition.
- David Tatham. The Lure Of The Striped Pig. Barre, MA, 1973.
Go to reference listing of Ehrgott & Forbriger prints
Go to brief history of Ehrgott, Forbriger & Co.
Go to listing of Ehrgott & Forbriger prints for sale
The Print Reference Page was written by:
8441 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19118 USA
(215) 242-4750 [Phone] -- (215) 242-6977 [Fax]
For further information, send us an email PhilaPrint@PhilaPrintShop.com
All text and illustrations are copyrighted by The Philadelphia Print Shop, Ltd.
The text and the illustrations may not be reused without prior authorization.
©The Philadelphia Print Shop, Ltd. 2013